March 27, 2011

A spring run

This afternoon I charged up my camera, made sure I had a lot of memory card space, put on my running shoes, shorts, and bright yellow AFS t-shirt, and headed out the front door down the street.

It's no longer winter in Linkebeek. The birds are singing; bright green little buds are appearing on the brown branches of the trees; tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths are pushing up and placing spots of color onto the lawns and into the gardens. This past week the weather has been warm and sunny-- even t-shirt weather. A couple hours ago, I was hitting hockey balls around with my host brothers in the back yard-- barefoot. The world outside is waking up.

I traced a path through the narrow streets and trails, taking pictures of what was in front of me. I made my way from Linkebeek into a neighboring village called Holleken, then into the some neighborhoods of Rhode-Saint-Genèse (a town in the Flemish region, south of Linkebeek), then back north into Uccle, a commune of Brussels. Then I returned into Linkebeek, taking some pictures of the town square and church before returning down the stairs towards my house.

The following pictures show what I saw on my run.












































































And I returned into the back yard. It was a beautiful run.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog on some AFS website and I've got to say, thank you! :D I'm a finnish 16-year old girl myself, going to Wallonia in August and even though I've visited Belgium before and know some Belgian people, I'm very interested in learning more about the country before I leave :) Therefore, thanks a lot for writing this blog, your observations of Belgians and their customs are appreciated =)
    Bisous from a still snowy Finland :Dve got to say, thank you! :D I'm a finnish 16-year old girl myself, going to Wallonia in August and even though I've visited Belgium before and know some Belgian people, I'm very interested in learning more about the country before I leave :) Therefore, thanks a lot for writing this blog, your observations of Belgians and their customs are appreciated =)
    Bisous from a still snowy Finland :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh damn, sorry, my computer seems to have messed up my previous comment, no wonder it looked so long to me :D opefully you can understand what I meant to say :D

    ReplyDelete