November 20, 2010

A trip to France (Part II)

So this is part 2. See below for part one. 

The last day in France, I played the classic American tourist, visiting the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, etc. Well, actually, the night before, after I took the nice picture of the city at night and ate dinner with my American friends, that was the time when I played the classic American tourist. I walked from the restaraunt with my little pocket map in hand trying to find my hotel,  and after walking probably around 5 kilometers total and not finding it, I learned that Rue Berger (the street I was on) and Rue Bergère (the street the hotel was on) aren't the same thing at all. But it wasn't a huge deal-- I got to see Paris at night. It's a nice ambience.

Anyway-- the next day, I saw the things almost anybody who goes to Paris sees: the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.


So, here are a couple more photos...

°°°°°°°°°

I thought that it was worth noting that we took the world-famous Paris metro system. It's a lot bigger... but much more expensive than the one in Brussels.

Anyway, I got the classic picture of Eiffel Tower:


Not bad, huh?
Really, as with all famous monuments, I had had the scales messed up in my mind. Sometimes, when you see buildings in pictures, they look a lot bigger or a lot smaller than they actually are. This time, the real-life eiffel tower surprised me by how big it was. 

324 meters, or 1,063 feet high. 


The bottom of the staircase. I can now say I climbed sucessfully as high as I could on the Eiffel Tower. 


I was definitely impressed by the architecture. It's a lot of metal. 


The view from the second platform. 


And, I need to make sure to not forget to show how many people there were. People everywhere. 


Lots. Of people. 


View from the top of the tower. Though the fog decreased the view, I thought it made a pretty good effect. 


LA. It's a long ways away. 



Aand, more people. I suppose that's what you get at the most-visited monument in the world. 



And, looking straight up from directly under the tower. 


Headed back to Notre Dame Cathedral, got a picture of some different architecture. Very beautiful as well. 



Le metro de Paris. Classique


Met back up with the Cortezians again, and we explored the Louvre. 










Like every good tourist, I saw the Mona Lisa. Can you spot her? 


The Louvre is HUGE. It took me over twenty minutes to walk from one end to the other. 


Downtown Paris...









And by this time, it was time to head home. After spending about 2 hours in les bouchons on our way out of Paris, we headed towards Brussels. 


The blurry picture describes exactly how I was feeling. It had been a long day. 


Et voila. My first vacation in France. 

1 comment:

  1. You. Saw. The Winged Victory of Samothrace. My art class did a project based on the form of that statue last year! But I can't be too jealous...I'll get to see it when I go to Paris at the end of December :D
    Love the pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete